Tuesday 21 April 2009

Expecting the Unexpected

There were some things that I didn't believe until I saw them with my own eyes on my travels. These include:

  • The size of the Pyramids (HOW big?)
  • The sight of a mirage in the desert
  • Just how stunning the Taj Mahal really is
So how about a vineyard in the centre of Montmartre? At 1,550m² it's not exactly huge (I'm sure there are bigger gardens nearby), but a vineyard it definitely is. The owners are clearly eager to protect it, as it's surrounded by a 2.5m fence and even photography is difficult (these are cropped so that you can't see the fence):



The grapes producing the rare 'Clos Montmartre' wine



I can't imagine there's a huge need for helpers when it comes to the 'vendange'

Just across the road from the vineyard is the 'Au Lapin Agile' (The Agile Rabbit) cabaret. (Is this Paris's answer to the Playboy Mansion?). This is notable for its owner, one M. Aristide Bruant, who was painted in black coat and hat by his good friend M. Toulose-Lautrec.

In fact, the whole of Montmartre is filled with artistic ghosts. More on this tomorrow. For now, it's been a long day and I'm off for un bon diner! Bon soir & Bonne Nuit.



Has anybody told Hef?


Words and Pictures © Louise Heal 2009

No comments: